Thursday, 12 August 2010

9 pm, Wednesday 11th.

Well a bit of a change to the schedule yesterday. After sorting some potatoes, wood, collecting crayfish and standing watching the cows lick their salt cube for a while, (I’ve grown fond of the cows), we went raspberry picking! Raspberries!…a new one. K and A didn’t tell us this before but the area we were picking has seen quite a few bears in its time. The locals don’t go out in the surrounding area much for fear of them. Only after lunch when we returned for some more picking were we aware of close by thudding (like heavy paws hitting the ground) and, call it paranoia but, some sort of growling? We tried to make lots of noise with our metal canisters though, which deters bears from coming too close (or so we’ve been told). Later I added to my recipes, including strawberry risotto that Marion told me about. I can’t wait to try them all out!! :D

Black crayfish before cooking!

Today we had the crayfish and traditional pickled herring for dinner. In the morning I watched as the crayfish were cooked and turned their characteristic red colour. Over breakfast we got into a big discussion about religion and the various different ways people live – calling it Christianity – in this region. Sometimes it’s great having someone who’s connected with politics and who can talk and have an opinion about almost every topic to talk with at the table but other times – often for me in the morning – I just want to sit quietly with a cup of tea. I feel a little bad saying it but when someone talks that much and with such closed-mindedness it can be an effort to listen.

A handsome couple, after cooking.

Also today I did the VERY LAST of the painting, dismantled the old greenhouse and help with the insulation of some of the houses chimneys. Great view from the roof! Sad I didn’t think to take up my camera.


Tomorrow Marion leaves :( I’m sad to see her go, but tomorrow I’ll also have been here three weeks now. Not long to go. And I still need to take some photos of the cows! Anders is dropping Marion off in Luleå so on the way we also get to make a trip to where Anders refers to as ‘the rapids’. I’m guessing something watery! It’ll be good to have another day away from the farm. Feeling tired but Ray Lamontagne is keeping me company at the moment and making me happy. x

No comments:

Post a Comment