The past few days have been kind of packed and I’m feeling it now. Marion left on Thursday but in the morning we took a trip to Storforsen Nature Reserve which has amazing natural rapids! Sadly, as is usually the case, the photos can’t quite capture how impressive it was.
| Storforsen rapids in the nature reserve |
As we drove Anders talked about the land around and the features that we passed. The pine trees are indigenous to the area. The forests here are the most westerly part of the Tiger forest (the largest extending forest in the world – my Planet Earth knowledge coming into use!), which extends over most of Siberia.
| The beautiful forest floor! |
The railway in the north was built inland instead of at the coast because it was far enough away that the Russian bombs could not reach it. Some of the roads widen in places too and were used as airfields if required. There are areas at the side of roads, which just look like laybys but could actually also be used for taxiing aircraft.
At some points, the hillside was very close to the road and you could see an entrance into the hill where, there was a nuclear shelter and where nuclear weapons were held. We were also shown the same thing on some of my air cadet camps in Scotland.
Hunting period starts in September and can sometimes last until as late as late November. The probability of seeing elk and deer on the road then increases a lot, as the animals get more stressed and can be forced to areas they don’t usually graze.
On Friday, amongst collecting more wood, there was a big exhibition in Piteå (like something you’d find in the SECC only outdoors) with lots of companies selling tractors, big saws and pretty much everything you can imagine. If it weren’t for the antiques and a couple of other areas I would have called it a pointless trip! But I picked up a little brooch at the antique area : )
Saturday was a roaster! Around 25°C and upwards. Luckily we weren’t working on the farm (except for picking some redcurrants in the morning) and went into Piteå again with Karin to little market/car-boot sale and then to the beach and swam in the sea.
Today – wood again, collecting, cutting and transporting. France and I have also been trying to plan a wee excursion before I leave here on Saturday. It’s changed several times but, as of 15 minutes ago, it looks like we’re heading cross-country to Arjeplog on a bus which is destined for Norway. Whether we stay on till then I’m not sure but before Norway we go through Pieljekaise National Park, which is much higher in the mountains. A nice change from just forest! Then I catch my train south…looking forward to a change!
Must go now. I have a skype date!
xx
No comments:
Post a Comment