Wednesday, 22 September 2010

The 6 o'clock report

Hej hej,

It's finally brightened up here after a good few days of miserable rain. Autumn is definitely in the air. The leaves on the tree outside my door are now completely red and others are changing gradually. Big flocks of geese have been flying overhead while we're working in the fields. The make such a racket but the sound of their wings is amazing to hear. The fly NW in the morning (probably to a nearby lake) then back again in the evening. At first we though they were flying south for the winter but when they were slying the wrong direction then coming back in the evening, we began to suspect something. It's also a lot colder. We had the first frost last night and the Sun doesn't hit our little outside table during breakfast anymore.

Last Wednesday Catherine, an american wwoofer arrived. She is Karin's generation and quit her job (a chemist working in the Grand Canyon National Park), sold her car and her house and went travelling. She's very focussed on the issue of climate change and is interested to see how Europe is dealing with it.

Friday saw the arrival of Ikoko, a japanese woman, who is also around Catherine/Karin's age. Communication can be a tad difficult at times but it's cool to have someone from a completely different culture.

Last week I was on a bit of a baking/making spree. I tried out a Swedish recipe for peanut butter cookies (and had to make some more the next day to perfect them of course!). The second batch were definitely better :) I also made oat milk, which is made from naked oats (which we eat a lot of on the farm) but I can't say I've seen them in Scotland.

On sunday, my day off, I decided to join Anders and Karin for their Sunday meditation. Something quite new. There were readings from different holy books, chanting and a time of meditation. What was kind of cool was that the reading coincided with something I'd been thinking the day before, so I think I was maybe right in checking it out at least once. In the afternoon, Karin and I headed to this massive second hand shop called Emmaus. The shop is spread between on old barns and contains books, clothes, shoes, furniture and random household things. If I wasn't so close to my baggage allowance I would've come away with some amazing finds!

Today I harvested beetroot for the first time. You also get yellow and polka beet which I never knew. Then I was on lunch duty. On the menu today: Broccoli soup and adzuki bean burgers, yuuuurm. I think I used almost every pot in the kitchen! Poor Jens, who was washing up...

Ooo and yesterday, I fulfilled the last thing I wanted to do in Sweden before leaving. I ate...a Daim bar! hahaha.

On another less random note, I expect to get the other video of Nathanael in the guitar tonight so I'll hopefully have it up soon. Hope you enjoyed the last one! Off now for a kipper tie!

See you soon!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment