Good evening,
Funny though it seems, these past two days on the farm have seemed like a rest after my visit to Stockholm on Sunday/Monday and kulturnat in Uppsala on Saturday. We left the farm on Saturday (having sampled Anders freshly baked bread WITH newly harvested wheat – how fresh can you get!? :D ) and walked around Uppsala for an evening listening to various types of music including singers in the cathedral, a couple of cool guitarist in a little café, some random electronica and mundane rock. Later I found out there was folk in one of the uni buildings and old, silent Charlie Chaplan movies, which I’m sad I didn’t get to see! On the up side, the hostel was very pretty!
In Stockholm we visited Gamla Stan, the old area of Stockholm, with lots of narrow streets and little boutiques. Tourist shops EVERYWHERE and since it was the weekend, it was pretty crowded. The high point was the sushi and Mongolian barbecue for lunch. Low points were seeing ‘The American’ in the cinema (possibly the worst movie I’ve ever seen in my life so far – everyone laughed at the end of it) and nearly getting locked in a shop. But hey, again the hostel was really cool. We stayed on a boat on the river!
Whilst in Stockholm we also visited the Vasa Museum, which is an exhibition of an old, Swedish ship which sank on its maiden voyage in 1628, before it had even made it out of the harbour – bummer. It was a really amazing museum actually; different to anything I’ve been to. Then off to Rosendals for lunch. I’d been recommended this place by Karin up north. Rosendals is a large garden (next to Rosendals Palace), which is famous for its orchard and organic produce (I picked some apples to eat later and took one – complete with bruise - back to the farm as a present for Karin’s birthday). Inside the café, blue tits, great tits and chaffinches flew about everywhere, while we were eating. Beautiful, but a little annoying when they tried to nibble my cake!!
I never knew before that Stockholm was built on lots of small islands – you learn something new everyday.
Back on the farm last night, we had an Astrology lecture with Karin. She made us all a chart of where all our planets lay in relation to the star signs. She only really scratched the surface but it was interesting. I’ve long stopped reading my horoscope in magazines but it’s was cool to hear it from an astrologer themselves.
That about sums up the time since my last blog - of course there's been work on the farm. LOTS of onion harvesting and suddenly it's Thursday again tomorrow - basket preparing day. Time is passing so quickly. Sooner than I know, I'll be arriving at the airport back in Scotland. I think I'm going to go and make a list of all the things I still want to do before then!
I've recently added some links to the bottom of the blog so check them out if you fancy.
Love Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment